Log in Newsletter

Cross Creek Cemetery

Established in 1785, and bounded by North Cool Spring and Grove Streets, Cross Creek Cemetery is the oldest public cemetery in Fayetteville. The retaining wall along the southern boundary separating the cemetery from Cross Creek is thought to be one of the oldest pieces of construction still standing in Fayetteville.

James Hogg, an early Fayetteville philanthropist, deeded the land to the town to be used as a cemetery. John D. Eccles later bequeathed more land to the cemetery. According to his will, proceeds from the sale of cemetery lots were to be used to educate poor children.

The cemetery is approximately five acres and contains over 1,100 grave markers. It contains a wide variety of stone monuments dating from 1786 to 1964. In fact, it exhibits nearly every major type of grave marker found in North Carolina - including brick vaults, ledgers, tomb-tables, headstones, obelisks, pedestal-tombs, and granite monuments. The cemetery also holds the premier collection of gravestones cut between the 1840s and 1880s by Scotsman George Lauder. Lauder was the most important gravestone cutter of the 19th century in North Carolina and operated his marble works here.

Within the cemetery’s military section stands the first Confederate Monument erected in North Carolina, erected in 1868.

It was paid for by a group of Fayetteville women who wanted to honor the Civil War dead. Having no money, they each contributed silk to make a quilt, which, at one dollar per share, sold for $300. The money paid George Lauder to build the beautiful marble shaft topped by a cross. The quilt was eventually given as a present to Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

Cross Creek Cemetery is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is part of the North Carolina Civil War Trail.

This text and the accompanying illustrations were generously provided by the Fayetteville Area Convention and Visitors Bureau.