FORT BRAGG, N.C. - The Fort Bragg Tax Center will open at 9 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2012. The Tax Center is now located on the 6th floor of the Soldiers Support Center, Normandy Street in Building 4-2843.
Hours of operation for the Tax Center will be 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. Monday-Friday, and
9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Saturday. The center will be closed on Sundays and federal holidays. It will be open until midnight on both April 16 and 17. Entrance to the tax center after 6 p.m. and all day Saturday will be the main canopy-covered entrance to the building; this will be the only unlocked entrance during those times.
The Fort Bragg Tax Center is the largest in the Army. It serves active duty military, Family Members, and retirees with virtually all of their personal tax needs. The Tax Center provides free tax preparation, electronic filing, and tax form distribution for federal and all state tax returns.
Soldiers and civilian volunteers will assist tax payers with all their tax needs. These Soldiers and volunteers have completed the Internal Revenue Services’ training program and are IRS certified to prepare tax returns.
Assistance is provided on a walk-in basis. In order to have returns prepared, taxpayers must:
Last year, the Tax Center served more than 18,000 Soldiers, Retirees and their Family Members; prepared nearly 14,000 returns, and collectively saved clients approximately $3.2 million in tax preparation costs. It remained open until June 30 to support Soldiers returning from overseas. If necessary, it will do so again this year.
- Arrive at the Tax Center not later than one hour prior to closing.
- Bring their W2 forms, which can be downloaded from the DFAS MyPay website at https://mypay.dfas.mil. A copy of an LES cannot be used.
- Bring their military/dependent/retiree ID card.
- Bring Power of Attorney if filing for another person or filing married without your spouse present and any tax forms they have received in the mail.
- If taxpayers want to get their refund faster by direct deposit, they must also bring a canceled check.