Martin House Hotel
In the late 1800s, this building was a popular overnight hotel for farmers. The nightly rate for room and board was 25 cents to 50 cents, depending on how many mules or horses one had. The wagons and animals were cared for in a large stable behind the hotel.
Located on Bow Street near its intersection with Ann Street, this hotel was constructed on tongue-and-groove boards held together by wooden pegs. It is believed that less than 10 pounds of spiked nails were used in the entire building.
Across the street from the old hotel was a wagon yard where farmers sold wood and produce. The wagon yard can still be seen today connecting the buildings near the archway connecting Person Street to Bow Street.
In 1929, Rogers & Breece Funeral Home moved from the corner of Old and Anderson streets to its new location in the old Martin House Hotel on Bow Street.
Courthouse Filling Station
In the 1920s, Courthouse Filling Station and Tire Co. on the corner of Gillespie and Russell streets was one of the most popular service stations in Fayetteville. As soon as a customer pulled his car into this Esso station, he received immediate service from three attendants who quickly pumped gas, filled the radiator, and checked the oil, battery and tires, then cleaned the windshield. The price of gas was as low as 17 cents a gallon.
In the 1930s, the Merita Bakery was on Old Street across from McNeill Milling Co. The office for American Bakeries Co. was on Green Street on the ground floor of the old Highsmith Hospital, which later became the Millbrook Hotel. From about 1818 through 1924, trucks used for the delivery of fresh-baked Merita bread had no doors. When it rained, the driver would simply pull curtains across the doorways.
Until the late 1940s, fresh bread could be purchased straight from the ovens for 10 cents a loaf; day-old bread was 5 cents a loaf. Because more space was needed for the bakery, a spacious plant was built at 1226 Ramsey St. in the late 1950s.