The Trump administration is releasing billions of federal dollars it had withheld from public schools, administration officials told multiple outlets Friday.

Cumberland County Schools will now get the $4.2 million the school system was set to receive as part of North Carolina’s $165 million allocation.

The $6.8 billion in national funding had already been appropriated by Congress when the U.S. Department of Education froze the grants on June 30. Friday’s decision to release the funds comes amid bipartisan outcry from legislators and educators, and a lawsuit from attorney generals across the country, including North Carolina Attorney General Jeff Jackson. Jackson and other top prosecutors challenged the freeze as an illegal power grab from the White House.Β 

β€œThis should end weeks of uncertainty β€” our schools can now plan, hire, and prepare for a strong year ahead,” Jackson said in an announcement about the released funds. β€œMy absolute best wishes to our state’s 1.5 million students who are ready to make this their best year yet.”

The funds that were being withheld from CCS accounted for 11% of the district’s $37 million in annual federal funding, Associate Superintendent Lindsay Whitley had told CityView last week. He said the funds were β€œcritical to supporting teaching and learning, as well as other essential district functions.”

Whitley expressed appreciation at the funds being released on Friday.

β€œWith the start of our traditional school year just a month away, we’re grateful to know that these critical federal funds will soon be released to our district,” Whitley told CityView. β€œOur focus remains on being fully prepared on day one to support our students and their families. These funds play an important role in helping us deliver on our commitment to excellence in every school.”

The Trump administration said it released the funds following a review by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget to ensure spending aligned with the Trump administration’s priorities.

Editor’s note: This story was updated on July 28 to clarify the timeline of the Trump administration’s decision to release the federal education funding.

Government accountability reporter Evey Weisblat can be reached at eweisblat@cityviewnc.com or 216-527-3608. 


Did you find this story useful or interesting? It was made possible by donations from readers like you to the News Foundation of Greater Fayetteville, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization committed to an informed democracy in Fayetteville and Cumberland County.

Please consider making a tax-deductible donation so CityView can bring you more news and information like this.

Evey Weisblat is a journalist with five years of experience in local news reporting. She has previously worked at papers in central North Carolina, including The Pilot and the Chatham News + Record. Her central beat is government accountability reporting, covering the Fayetteville City Council.